718 Rebuild_Australia

Rund um Glühkerze und Servopumpe der Selbstzünder

Moderatoren: eniac, xaver133

pathfinder700ap
Re: 718 Rebuild_Australia

Beitrag von pathfinder700ap »

Hey Peter,

yes, I'll certainly come back to meet you and to enjoy a ride in the 718 ;-)
Will the side panels of the body be removable? Or why have you gone for such a design?

Kind regards,
Constantin
Profpinz

Beitrag von Profpinz »

The side panels are designed to lift up so I can access the racks inside (the stored items can then be accessed from inside as well as outside the vehicle)
Additionally in the future the plan is that the rear roof section will be able to lift up.

The important thing for me however is that whatever lifts etc the vehicle looks like a standard 718K. :D
xaver133

Beitrag von xaver133 »

Superb
I really love your work :D
Zuletzt geändert von xaver133 am Mi Nov 06, 2013 9:04, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Profpinz

Beitrag von Profpinz »

The latest progress on the 718 may look to many if things are going backwards, but in actual fact I'm almost ready to start spot-welding in the platform panels (in previous pics they were temporarily held in place with a variety of wedgelocks, cleco's and peanuts) and then I can really get onto final building/assembling of the upper body......Been able to rotate the platform certainly makes assembly/welding easier.
Next weekend I'II finish the panelbeating all the all little dings etc (all marked with yellow paint) that need to be done whilst I still have access to the back surfaces.
.....then the week after :D :D :D :D :D :D ...... a few mates are helping me with the spot-welding.

Bild

Bild
Zuletzt geändert von Profpinz am Sa Feb 06, 2016 13:09, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
xaver133

Beitrag von xaver133 »

Hi Peter

Any progress the last month?
I'm curious like hell, if I may say so :mrgreen:

Why did you renew the platform panels on the floor, to much rust?

regards X
Profpinz

Beitrag von Profpinz »

G'day X, I've done lots of work on the 718, there is just not much progress to show :D

The rear door entrances and side panels have been spot welded in place but I haven't done the floor yet.
For the last 3 weekends I've been chasing "imperfections" in the floorpan.

Firstly when we welded the long side panels I ended up with a slight curve in the side rails, due to the continuous line of spots. This was fixed relatively easily by welding a temporary beam in place above the rails and carefully using the porta power jack.

Secondly I discovered the rear floor rail, just in front of the rear door was 6mm lower than the other mounting points (one would think from abuse in it's earlier life) yet the middle body support metalwork was undamaged :? :? :? ......I gave up trying to figure out "how" and fixed that.

Thirdly, the left rear corner was 3mm lower than the right. Once again I thought this was due to abuse, but I discovered it had been welded in place that way, so I realigned and re-welded it in the correct place.
Whilst 3mm is not a lot it was throwing out my string line from front to rear down the side rail.....I've now pretty much got a square/flat floorpan which should make it far simpler to fit and align the top body structure.

I took the low tech approach to fix all the problems (as you'll see in the pics) but it's works :D :lol:

This weekend I plan to do a heap of welding on the platform and hopefully it can go out in 3 or so weeks to get blasted and epoxy coated.

I trust all is going well with you!
Regards from Oz!

Bild

Bild

Bild
Zuletzt geändert von Profpinz am Sa Feb 06, 2016 13:10, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
xaver133

Beitrag von xaver133 »

Hi Peter,
I'm quite fine, thanks.

Those extra work looks absolutely not funny!
I hope you get it all done nicely.

What will you use for blasting: sand,dry ice, organic material....???

Regards from Vienna
Profpinz

Beitrag von Profpinz »

I will get the floorpan soda blasted but as this media does not remove corrosion, the blaster will then selectively sand blast any areas that have rust.
The same blaster did my 712 body almost 20 years ago so he's got experience :D
I was researching dipping but they are virtually non existant here on Oz nowadays, with the only recommended one being too far away.
xaver133

Beitrag von xaver133 »

Hi Peter
Has the body much rust?
How do you get it out of the folds?

Regards X
Profpinz

Beitrag von Profpinz »

G'Day Xaver, despite the fact that the vehicle spent it's working life in Malaysia with all it's humidity and monsoonal rain there was very little rust in the factory platform and body parts....where there was rust, such as on the side interior panels is because the Malaysian Military had locally made steel racks or non-factory fittings, that were minimally corrosion proofed, in direct contact with the factory panels.
The factory "overlaps"/joins etc were all well e-coated and/or seam sealed so rust again was minimal in these areas.
The above is a tribute to the sealing and e-painting quality of the original build......even inside the side rails and underbody ribs (that have been exposed when new panels have been fitted) is rust free.

Given this you might ask why I have replaced many of the rear body panels?......the reason is either the panels were damaged as per outlined above, or as in the floors case it was quite badly dented and damaged, so it was easier and better to replace than repair.

BTW Xaver, did you get my PM I sent the other day?
xaver133

Beitrag von xaver133 »

Thanks Peter
It's a relief to read that there are also some units without so much rust as that one Mike cut to pieces in his yard.

Got your PM but due to a lot of overthinking and a load of work over the extended weekend at home I didn't reply in time, sorry.

Greetings from Vienna
Profpinz

Beitrag von Profpinz »

Some may think I've been a bit slack of late on the 718, but believe me I have been working on it......I'm trying to get the floorpan finished before the end of the month so I can set up the upper body structure and get it sorted before I send the platform out for media blasting and an initial epoxy coat.

Most of the main floorpan panels are now welded in place.
Keeping the panels as straight and free of distortion was a major concern.

Bild

The new ribs around the rear door entrance areas are now in place and the platform is as close to square and factory dimensions as is possible.

Bild

Magna Steyr / S Tec, didn't have left hand "box panels" available only the right, so I brought two, then disassembled one, modified it, then re-assembled/re-welded it as a left unit.

Bild

When I originally purchased the 718 the right footwell had damage I think from a forklift tine so I've spent the last three or four days bashing metal ........It's pretty good now and just needs a little "slapping".

Bild

Before Christmas I picked up the CNC formed under body ribs and the rear door shell.
It's a copy of the original design, but as the factory unit was stamped and I want the new unit to be an exact copy I drew up the CAD file so it would "accept" the four corner components I made on a metal shrinker.

Bild
Zuletzt geändert von Profpinz am Sa Feb 06, 2016 13:14, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
h@nnes

Beitrag von h@nnes »

Your work is just amazing and the welding job looks very interesting. That must be the maximum of what is possible to do on a Pinz on one`s own initiative.
Hope and look forward to see more pictures of your work.
congratulations
hannes
Alf Stocki

Beitrag von Alf Stocki »

Hello Peter,

really nice work what u present to us!

nice greetings from Austria to Australia
Lg Alf Stocki
Profpinz

Beitrag von Profpinz »

A bit hot to do much on the 718 this week.....in the 40's most of the time. I need an air-conditioned workshop :D
Hopefully when the temperature drops I can finish welding and prepping the floor-pan for media blasting
xaver133

Beitrag von xaver133 »

Ohh god! Good luck!
I can't even send you any snow for down cooling, there's none in Vienna. :oops:
Regards Xaver
Profpinz

Beitrag von Profpinz »

Whilst I'm waiting for a few final platform bits to be CNC cut and folded, I decided I would weld in the rear radiused corners of the upper rear door assembly which I did today.
Next step is to look at punching in the recessed square holes in the blank sheet that are in the factory units.

Bild

Bild

Question.....Can somebody inform me of:
a/. The dimensions of these "holes" and the distance between them etc.
b/. The dimension/profile of the rubber glazing section that holds the rear window glass
.....THANKS!

Bild
Zuletzt geändert von Profpinz am Sa Feb 06, 2016 13:16, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.
Profpinz

Beitrag von Profpinz »

I've had a few people ask about the 718 progress and whilst I've been working on it steadily it's often a slow time consuming business.

The brake assemblies are now completed, so all that needs to be done to complete the driveline is to assemble the transfer case and rebuild the front differential .....things I'II do when the body is out for painting.

Whilst working on the brakes I stripped the motor and had the head rebuilt....the guy did a lovely job on the head!

In the meantime I've been making all the panels and welding-in/assembling bits where applicable.
The sides now lift up via custom made hinges (with removable Pip Pins) and whilst I've "folded the roof edges, I'm yet to "roll" the rounded rib into the parts.....I have made a set of dies to do this but have to finish and harden them.
I thought I was nearly done with panel fabrication but was disappointed to hear from S-Tec after waiting 6 months for delivery that they could not supply the right rear door skin, so now I've got to make it myself.

Finally I managed to purchase a 24V 60mm Tachometer on Ebay. Now that I have all the gauges, switches etc. I hope to finish the dash area in the near future.

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild
Zuletzt geändert von Profpinz am Sa Feb 06, 2016 13:21, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.
Profpinz

Beitrag von Profpinz »

Zuletzt geändert von Profpinz am Mi Jul 23, 2014 11:54, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.
Profpinz

Beitrag von Profpinz »

I've got to thank Wolfgang and the others who helped me out with information about my request for hole dimensions etc in the upper rear door section.
Question.....Can somebody inform me of:
a/. The dimensions of these "holes" and the distance between them etc.
b/. The dimension/profile of the rubber glazing section that holds the rear window glass
.....THANKS!
Bild
It took me some time to get around to this particular job but eventually I did, and using the info supplied I created a basic die and punched the shapes in the upper rear door section as per the factory unit.

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild
Zuletzt geändert von Profpinz am Sa Feb 06, 2016 13:24, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Antworten