Broken Axles

Rund um Antrieb und Elektrik

Moderatoren: eniac, Robi, xaver133

Antworten
Profpinz
Broken Axles

Beitrag von Profpinz »

There has been some discussion on the US Pinzgauer Forum lately on breaking axles (particularly on 712's).

Years ago I rarely heard of this happening (one or two every now and again) but recently it appears to be a more common occurance.

Admittedly the vehicles (and axles) are getting older and metal fatigue due to age is possibly the problem, or it may simply come down to more aggressive useage by some owners, but I wondered if this is a big problem in Europe?

It seems to nearly always happen on rocky surfaces when there is good grip, when the the rear wheels are lifted and the load is taken soley on the central axles.

Here is a clip of it happening to a vehicle in Oz!
Listen carefully for the "snap" of the axle then you will see the centre right wheel stop turning and the vehicle slew sideways....the rest is history!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0KGtzb85g4
Michil

Beitrag von Michil »

Hi !

What exactly is broken ??? the axsle shaft or the complete half axle ??

Michil
Die Rainbow Warrior fährt auch nicht mit Apfelsaft !!!!
Profpinz
Beitrag von Profpinz »

Generally the break happens exactly where the splined end on the axle fits into the corresponding part of the crown wheel ..... the broken-off splined section remains in the crown wheel section and a magnet or "pick" is required to extract it.
Zuletzt geändert von Profpinz am So Mai 18, 2008 8:48, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
lovepons

Beitrag von lovepons »

Peter,

It seems to me that this problem only occured with older Pinzgauer Type exec 1 - problem that was solved when the type exec 2 came out (younger models).
That is why I sold my 1976 Pinzgauer and bought a 1982 exec II Pinzgauer.

Best regards,

Jacques
Profpinz
Beitrag von Profpinz »

G'Day Jacques,

My understanding is that the factory Exec II modification only upgraded the differential, by inserting sintered bushes in the pinions, thereby improving the lubrication and durability of the diff components.
The axles (the factory call them "half shafts" - the parts that break) are the same design and specification as previous models.
lovepons

Beitrag von lovepons »

OK - Peter,

I stand corrected - then we need to investigate a bit further. Thank you for the update.

Regards,

Jacques
Lorenz
Beitrag von Lorenz »

Last year in the dessert race, my shaft lost its teeth in the crown wheel too, but it didn't brake. We had to replace the crown wheel and the shaft. Also the halfaxle which comes out of the Diff was bended due to a big bang in the dessert. We think, that the reason for the loosing of the teeth was the bended half-axle.

Is it teeth ot tooth? :?
lovepons

Beitrag von lovepons »

1 tooth or 2 or more teeth.

Singular: tooth
Plural: teeth

Ist schon ganz richtig wie Du es geschrieben hast.

MfG

Jacques
Antworten