718 Rebuild_Australia

Rund um Glühkerze und Servopumpe der Selbstzünder

Moderatoren: eniac, xaver133

Profpinz
Re: 718 Rebuild_Australia

Beitrag von Profpinz »

Well, it's been a while since I last posted, and whilst the body is progressing I decided prior to Christmas to concentrate on assembling the transfer case and engine/gearbox and the ancillaries, mainly so I could reduce the inventory of parts scattered around my workshop.

The good news is as of today I've substantially reduced the number of individual parts into a few assemblies.

The work over the past months includes:
1/. Rebuilding of the Vacuum Actuators
2/. Completion of the rebuilt transfer case.
3/. Building of a new main-front wiring loom.
4/. Complete rebuilding of the motor and ancillary components.

The rebuilt vacuum actuators.....these are not generally rebuildable components but some parts are available and I always insist "virtually anything can be rebuilt" :D

The T-Case is generally accepted as the weak point of TD Pinzgauers, especial auto's where drivers often disregard recommendations on shifting from high to low and visa versa and therefore put substantial strain on the unit, so careful assembly and a few modifications/updates suggested by one of our brilliant members, was the order of the day.

The wiring loom incorporates new heavier wire in most cases and the headlights and additional lighting are now controlled by relays.

The motor rebuild was the most time consuming item.
Obtaining new TTY (Torque To Yield) conrod bolts was a problem but eventually I settled on fitting ARP "re-useable" units.
For the record, ARP VW G60 Corrado bolts DO fit the VW/Pinzgauer 2.4 D24TIC motor.

Bild

The T-Case just needed a bit of work and some TLC :D

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild
Zuletzt geändert von Profpinz am Sa Feb 06, 2016 13:34, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
exilfranke

Beitrag von exilfranke »

P.P.P : Peter's Pinz Pron

keep on rockin, this is pure awesome!
Profpinz

Beitrag von Profpinz »

A few mates came over last weekend and helped me roll the "ridges" on the roof edge and centre panels.
......then we threw a few snags on the barbie 8)

Bild

Bild

Bild
Zuletzt geändert von Profpinz am Sa Feb 06, 2016 13:36, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Lorenz

Beitrag von Lorenz »

Daumen hoch! :-)
Norbert

Beitrag von Norbert »

Bild
Liebe Grüße aus der Heimat
Norbert
Profpinz

Beitrag von Profpinz »

I picked up the custom aluminium radiator I had built the other day.....I've always been dubious as to whether the standard radiator would be capable of handling the possible 40+C conditions of Central Australia so I had a unit built with an Aussie core that the bloke assures me will handle extreme heat.

The initial fitment showed the unit still needs a bit of "tweaking" of the inlet/outlet pipes etc, but it fits perfectly in place and under the cowl.

Progress, albeit slow, continues :D

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild
Zuletzt geändert von Profpinz am Sa Feb 06, 2016 13:37, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
eniac

Beitrag von eniac »

Wooww .. Amazing work and great Pictures .. I love to see that.
Looking forward to new pictures.
Grüße

derStefan
xaver133

Beitrag von xaver133 »

And again superb pictures from the AUS pleasure room gg^^
Thanks for sharing!

Do you also have some picture of the original cooler?
As the P93 are rare as hen's teeth I think I have never seen one in detail. :(

Best Regards to down under.
Profpinz

Beitrag von Profpinz »

Thanks guys, I'm happy to share with my Pinzgauer friends :D
My 718 didn't have a radiator when I purchased it, but I have a picture of two radiators which Mike T took, and which I have posted below.

Bild
Zuletzt geändert von Profpinz am Sa Feb 06, 2016 13:38, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Profpinz

Beitrag von Profpinz »

Well it's been a while since I posted any pics of the rebuild and as a few people have contacted me asking what's going on, so I thought I'd better make an effort to post some more pics.

I've been busy with work etc, but now that the Uni year is virtually over and the current research projects are coming to an end, I'm once again back to a situation where I'm becoming more "time rich" (but "money poor" :D )
I also decided to modify the side rear lift up sides, hinge points which has slowed progress somewhat.

I always tell students that the best designs are based around "KIS" (Keep It Simple) but I stumbled over my own words :(
In an effort to minimise any rain that entered the body when the sides were up, I originally had a complex system that lifted the top roof section slightly when the side contacted a hidden seal with the idea that the "dam wall" effect would stop water dripping inside. In the end, I rebuilt the hinges, hinge ponts/door structure etc so they are now just basic, rugged assemblies, and if a few drops, or a little water gets inside the back when it's raining heavily, so be it.........I think the Pinny will survive :D

A lot of people might think that work has not progressed much since my last post, but detailing and all the little bits and pieces take time.....Pretty much construction of all the "new" body panels is finished, apart from the right rear door (which I hope to start on this weekend) but making things like the Swage & Jenny Die to make the "pressed in" top rib is slow work, as you do a sample, then modify the die a little etc, etc.
Lining up the roof panels proved tricky but a basic wooden template helped immensely (yes, I know the little rear rib doesn't line up ....that's a little cut and shut job for the weekend :D ).
The roof and side panels are currently all held in place with small wooden wedges, Cleco's and Peanuts, but in a couple of weeks my spot welding team (the old guys in the pics above :D ) are coming over for a days work.

OK so here are the pics of the body/platform to date:

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild
Zuletzt geändert von Profpinz am Sa Feb 06, 2016 13:48, insgesamt 3-mal geändert.
Profpinz

Beitrag von Profpinz »

Work on the body continues and although it may not look like a lot has been done the MIG and Spot Welders have been in great demand.
The roof panels are pretty much welded in place (just have to spot weld the lower sides to the frame this weekend) and the rear door is completed.....I took the advice of "Steyr Daimler Puch Crack" and beefed up the mounting of the upper rear door section.
I've also welded all the unwanted holes etc in the rear so the back of the Pinzgauer now only needs some minor finishing.
The instrument panel has also been painted and I've started the final assembly.....currently I'm just waiting for another switch and some inserts.

My aim is to complete the body by March so it can go out for sand-blasting and a coat of epoxy paint, but whilst I appear to be on schedule at the moment I've learnt over the years not to count my chickens before they hatch :D ........example: I knocked off Pinny work at lunch time today as it's too hot out in the workshop.

I couldn't resist the taking a pic (last photo) after I opened the 712 rear door to get something out......The two Pinny's (air-cooled and TD) "shaking hands" :D 8)

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild
Zuletzt geändert von Profpinz am Mo Feb 08, 2016 12:16, insgesamt 3-mal geändert.
pathfinder700ap

Beitrag von pathfinder700ap »

Great progress, Peter!
Thanks for the update!

Cheers, C.
xaver133

Beitrag von xaver133 »

Hi Peter!

Nice and shiny dashboard - don't forget the wood pice. (I know you won't)

Sometimes at cold and rainy winter days one needs some refreshing Pini rebuild pics :mrgreen:
Thanks a lot.

Best Regards
Xaver
Profpinz

Beitrag von Profpinz »

I've eventually started construction of the final panel I need to make for the body......the right rear door skin.
I was given an old rusted door by one of our German members, which I cut the door handle detail out of, and will weld it into the new "skin" (that will save me some fab time).

I'm happy that the fold height/widths of the new skin are within +/- 0.5mm of the original unit so it should line up nicely.
In the next few days I'II fold the sides and fit it to the already finished inner door shell.

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild
alloffroadau

Beitrag von alloffroadau »

Hi Peter,

awesome build, I just purchased a 718K (new to Piz) and will start decking it out, would be great to catch up where are you located?

I'm in Sydney

Cheers

Steve

Bild
xaver133

Beitrag von xaver133 »

Hi Profpinz

Do you have some new pics to keep us going? :mrgreen: :smoke:

How was your last year of rebuild?

Best Regards
Xaver
Profpinz

Beitrag von Profpinz »

G'Day Xaver,
I've been working on the 718 but I'm having trouble with the Vic Roads Engineers and Australian/Victorian registration.
I'm currently hoping a new Engineer I spoke to a few months ago can help, but I haven't been able to contact him this past week.
As soon as I hear some positive news I'II post pics of the latest work.
Regards,
Antworten